Sunday, February 10, 2008

Interview Articles

I selected two articles that I think relate to my field the most. In the architecture world, things are different in many ways when it comes to finding and getting work. Most of what we do in school is generally considered 10% of our education as architects. Most of our knowledge will be acquired in professional practice. The first article I chose dealt with the "what to ask the interviewer." I chose this one because architecture firms are very different. They differ in size, style, projects, age, and location. It is very important to choose a firm that matches your "kind" of architecture. Otherwise, you will not enjoy the work, which curbs your creativity. My studio professor in Spain stressed the fact that "you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you." From the article, I learned that the type of question you ask can be used strategically to bring out your strengths. I also learned that different people at the firm have to be asked different questions based on their position as recruiter, boss, etc. The second article was concerning the second interview. Similarly, it can be used as a means to distinguish your skills, especially from other interviewees that might be invited at the same time. Also, if an offer is not made at the end of the day, a follow-up thank you note was recommended.

No comments: