Sunday, February 24, 2008

Spring Break Fishing

Since this post will be a free topic one, I would like to express my high hopes of offshore fishing during this upcoming spring break. Seven friends and I will be fishing the blue water of Marathon, Florida. Marathon is the centermost island in the Florida Keys. It offers a short distance access to the Gulf Stream. We have a house and a boat for one week, so there will be many opportunities to hook many different species of fish. Topping the list of desired species are sailfish and tuna. Sailfish are the pinnacle of sportfishing, and since I have yet to catch one it is on the top of my list. Tuna are lots of fun to catch, and sushi happens to be my favorite food. Sailfish and tuna are bluewater fish, caught about 20 miles offshore. Some of the inshore species targeted include tarpon, bonefish, snapper, shark, and barracuda. Most of my friends coming along have never fished, and I hope to not disappoint them. Hopefully a week of Florida fishing will be enough for them to like fishing enough to make them understand my obsession with saltwater fishing. I will report the fishing results in a later blog.

No comments: