Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spring Break Reflection

We headed down to Florida with high hopes. Everything was going perfect. The spring storms were contained in the Carolinas and Georgia. The weather in the Keys was going to be flawless according to the news. It was almost too perfect; too good to be true. Sure enough, my luck ran out. As soon as we reached the house and unloaded our luggage, things started to go badly. I started the trip by chipping a tooth biting on a fishing rod instead of using a pair of pliers. Half an hour later, we decided to go out for dinner in an attempt to improve my morale. While backing out of the driveway, I ran into a tree. I was barely moving when I hit it, but to my continued misforture, a branch was perfectly positioned to miss the bumper and hit the rear glass dead-on. After dinner, I prayed for better luck the next day. The next morning I had to pick up the boat. To my luck, it was low tide, and the boat owner decided to pick the shallowest boat ramp in the area. Five minutes after leaving the ramp, I ran aground. We spent the rest of the day trying to manually push the boat in futility. Not until the tide rose again were we able to get out with the help of another boat. I wasted a day of fishing wallowing in a saltwater flat. At this point I was losing all hope. Everyone assured me my streak of bad luck must have run out, but I doubted. Unfortunately, I was right. The rest of the trip was cursed with bad weather. We were able to reach open water once in five days. On that day, we pressed our luck to reach blue water, only to have most on board get sea sick. We ended the trip with two mackerel and a small shark. This was by far my most disappointing fishing endeavor.

No comments: